Sunday, April 24, 2016

Literacy Musing Mondays: The Magic of Books


Welcome back to another week of Literacy Musing Mondays! I had the honor of writing the guest post this week. In it I share with you my love of reading and how books have always been special to me. You'll hear about some of my favorite books and authors. The links I share are not affiliate but only there for your convenience. Hope you enjoy!

The Magic of Books
By Gayl Wright

Books have always been a part of my life from my earliest remembrances. I know my mom read to me a lot and taught me how to read before I ever went to school. My dad was an avid reader bringing home armloads of books every week from the local library. He usually took me with him and I remember eagerly looking forward to those weekly visits. 

My dad always took a long time finding books, so I would spend time perusing the shelves and then read while I waited for him. I think I read all the biographies in the kid's section and many of the fiction offerings. That was how I found Beverly Cleary's books, and I remember reading about the antics of Henry Huggins and his dog, Ribsy

Reading opened up a whole new world for me. 

Through my books I could travel far beyond the little suburban neighborhood I called home. I passed the joy of reading on to my children as we had reading time every afternoon. While I read aloud they would draw or color, sometimes trying to illustrate the story. As they got older we incorporated tea time into our afternoon reading. 

We devoured books and lived vicariously through the characters. 

One day on the Alps with Heidi, another day in Holland with Hans Brinker, or seeing through the eyes of Jo from Little Women. We traveled with Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons characters, experienced the open prairie with Laura Ingalls Wilder, traipsed through Narnia with the Pevensie children, went on adventures with The Hobbit, and learned about life on Prince Edward Island with Anne of Green Gables. 

Reading teaches us about relationships between different people. 

In our reading we have good and bad examples that show us a lot about human nature and how to relate to each other. Some books that helped me in living out my Christianity in a natural way were those by the Scottish author George MacDonald. His stories are full of adventure but also truth. His characters were true to who they were and came alive in my mind as I was drawn into each story.

As an adult I still enjoy biographies and autobiographies. 

One book that is full of almost every emotion you can imagine is The Trapp Family Singers by Maria Trapp. Even though they faced many hard things, Maria still managed to find comical ways to describe some of them. While reading aloud to my daughters there were times we were all laughing so hard it brought tears and I could hardly keep reading. 

Other types of non-fiction books are also my friends.

Charlotte Mason and Ruth Beechick helped me stay focused when I started homeschooling. Edith Schaeffer gave insightful advice in the areas of prayer and hospitality. Books by G.K. ChestertonC.S. Lewis, and Os Guinness have been invaluable as they contain much food for thought. 

The most important book I have read and continue to read daily is my Bible. 

In it are true stories of faith, adventure, obedience and disobedience, miracles, and direction for all of life. This book tells me of God's love and forgiveness and hope. It teaches how he gives grace and strength and comfort. It shows me how to trust and remember that God is always with me no matter where I go. 

What about you? What books have made an impression on you?



Gayl Wright makes her home in lovely Sunset, SC. Married for 41 years, mother of 7, grandmother of 13, she enjoys blogging, writing poetry, reading, creating art, interacting with people and spending time outside enjoying nature. She is learning to embrace life fully, observing details, finding beauty in unexpected places. Her goal in life is to demonstrate the existence of and to glorify God in whatever she does and to encourage others in the process. You can connect with her on her blog, Thoughts and Art from my Heart, also on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and Pinterest.

I would also like to announce that I am being welcomed as a new permanent host for Literacy Musing Mondays!

_________________________________________________________

Now on to our weekly Literacy Musing Monday's linkup. First let's



Leslie@Forever Joyful
Mary @Maryandering Creatively
Tami @ThisMomsDelight

Now let's celebrate reading and learning by reviewing:

Last Week’s Top Clicked Post!



By Georgie Lee


Georgie discusses how she started her career trying to write for the movie screen. When she did not achieve success in the field, she did not let go of her dream to write. She just tweaked it and switched genres. Her story is very inspirational.
_________________________________________________________________________

My Favorite Post of the Week:

Simply Tuesday: A Book Review

by Kristin at Love Mercy Walk Humbly


I have this book myself and have found it to be a great source of encouragement no matter what season you are in life. Kristin gives a wonderful review with some excerpts from the book. 


Remember to check out other hosts' blogs to see which posts from last week were their favorites.

Want to be the next to be featured! Just link up a post and if you are read the most, we will feature you. Also please make sure you link back to us so others will know about our link up and join in. We try to make it worth your while to linkup with us by promoting your posts across our social media networks. We also pin our most clicked and featured posts to our Pinterest Board each week!



______________________________________________________

Now, it is time to link up to the Literacy Musing Mondays hop! You will have until Saturdays at 12 p.m. now to link up! So come back often. :)




Linkup Rules:

  1. Include a link back or the blog hop button linked to this hop on your posts.
  2. Link up the urls to your posts not to your blog.
  3. Please remember this is a family-friendly linkup. Although we believe in the right for adults to read whatever they want to read, we prefer to read wholesome posts that feature literature that edify and uplift families. We reserve the right to delete any posts that are not family friendly. We love all kinds of literature and genres including family-friendly inspirational romances, fantasy, or science fiction. We do not welcome posts featuring books or written with excessive violence, sexual content, or cursing. These posts will be deleted.
  4. We also want to be loving community by supporting one another. Please make a point to do this this week! Visit the two posts before yours and at least one other blogger's post of your choice! I want to see lots of clicks on everyone's posts. I know as a blogger, you know how it feels not receive comments, right. :) Plus, you could be honored as our Top Commentor if you submit your report to Mary! Remember it is also nice to follow them on their social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook.
  5. Follow your hosts and co-hosts on their social media.
  6. Tweet about the link up too.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!