Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Creativity is for Everyone


I love the word create! It evokes happy thoughts and conjures up a myriad of ways to put creativity into practice. When I hear it, I often think of the word art which then brings to mind magnificent paintings, or pottery, or blown glass or mosaics… Those are definitely creative, but I believe there are many more areas in which the creative process is used.

Did you ever think that how you decorate your house could be creative? What about the different ways you can prepare and serve food? How about a tea party or homemade cinnamon bread. The bottom left photo is actually a birthday cake for my husband made to look like eggs and sausage using chocolate cookies and dried apricots! (Breakfast is his favorite meal.)




Many a mom has looked for creative ways to make food appetizing to children. One of the things my family likes to choose for birthday breakfasts is face pancakes. Using chocolate chips, cherries and whipped cream they make some pretty weird faces that look downright alien.

Or what about a child at play in the mud with their delectable treats of mudpies or fairy potions from berries? What? You've never experienced those? You don't know what you're missing!

I believe every person has the ability to be creative if even in a very small way. 

After all we are created in the image of the great Creator who made so many varieties of plants and animals that we can hardly name them all. Think of all the different shapes, sizes, colors and textures of everything on earth, in the sky and in the sea.




Creativity should be encouraged in our children and even in adults who somehow along the way never thought they had the ability to create. We should praise every small effort no matter how simple. Even the great masters had to begin somewhere and then continue to practice and hone their skills.

Just a few short years ago I had never heard of an art journal, but when my daughter showed me hers I was hooked. Not all of my efforts are great art, but I find pleasure in the doing of it. By experimentation I have learned to use various forms of media to create in my journal. Here are some samples:




Writing is another way to be creative. 

I have found so many doors open to be able to communicate with people since I started my blog over two years ago. I didn't even think of myself as a writer, but I am finally realizing that I don't have to be a famous author to claim the title of writer. I really think that we all are writers. We all think thoughts, and writing is simply putting our thoughts down on paper or in a computer or elsewhere. Even if we just keep a journal we can be considered writers.

Poetry is another area of writing creativity I had previously dabbled in, but recently have come to make it a regular practice. It is fun to play around with words and watch a poem almost write itself. Often I don't know exactly where I'm going with a poem, but by experimenting I'm sometimes surprised. Here is one a wrote a few years ago. It is very simple, doesn't exactly follow rules but it inspires me to want to create something. 

I am waiting for
a bright burst of sunshine
to expand my view
of who I am and
what I can do

I am longing for
a cool drop of water
in a desert land
that whets my desire
to create something grand

I am ready for
a garden full of soil
to plant seeds of dreams
and watch them take root
growing up to extremes


With a little imagination I believe anyone can write a simple poem.

Right where you are, take a look around the room and make notes of what you see. (You could do the same thing when you take a walk, sit at a park or at the mall.)  Add a few descriptive words and write down a few phrases. Try rearranging them in different ways and see what happens. You may not have an award winning poem, but I guarantee you'll have fun in the process of creating.

This exercise is a takeoff of one that was shared by my friend, Beth Morey, who has an ecourse called She Writes Wild .  I have been taking the course and can highly recommend it if you'd like to learn more about writing poetry.

Practically everything we do has the potential to provide an open slate for creativity. Even simple ordinary things can become extraordinary with a little time and imagination.

Let's get creating!

I'm linking up with:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!