Sunday, February 14, 2016

A Little Kindness


Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other,
just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.
(Ephesians4:32 NASB)

When I was a little girl we used to sing a song in Sunday School about being kind to one another. It must have been taken from this verse because I remember the first few words were Be ye kind one to another. A little kindness can go a long way. Sometimes it doesn't take much to brighten someone's day.

We also need to be kind to ourselves.

How often do we push ourselves almost to the point of exhaustion? I realize that sometimes we have no choice especially when our children are sick and need us. But what about those times when we just want to get something finished and we keep going even though we know we need a break? I think we would do well to make sure we get a few minutes each day to stop, relax and just breathe. Sometimes that's all it takes to give us renewed energy.

Back in October of 2014, I wrote a poem that I think embodies the spirit of kindness, and I'd like to share it again here.


A Touch of Love

I could keep a vase of flowers
sitting out within our sight
I could light a scented candle
an aroma to delight

I could serve some homemade chai tea
to warm us with its spices
I could make a chocolate sheet cake
with big ginormous slices

I could call a friend who's hurting
to provide a listening ear
I could speak with words of kindness
Never harsh tones causing fear

I could smile instead of frowning
Bringing cheer for those I see
I could say words of thanksgiving
Let complaining never be

I could put on happy music
to replenish us with mirth
I could compliment another
Helping them to see their worth

I could pray each day for guidance
To help me in this quest
I could linger on the porch swing
Taking time for daily rest




May we all take a little time to do small acts of kindness. It will not only bless others but will bless ourselves as well.

I'm linking up with Erika Shirk and #wholemama where the word KIND was our prompt last week. I'm a little late to the party, but better late than never, right? 
I'm also linking with: 
#LMMLinkup  
Soul Survival Monday Linkup 
#IntentionalTuesday
#CoffeeForYourHeart 
#FamilyFriendshipandFaith
#WordofGodSpeak

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!