Friday, October 2, 2015

Eighteen Tops All Visible in One Drawer?


There once was a woman in Sunset

with too many clothes in her closet.

She said, "What will I do?

Will I ever get through?

I think I'll just go eat some chocolate!


Welcome to Day 2 of 31 Days to an Attractive, Clutter Free Bedroom! Day 1 can be found HERE.

As promised I'm here along with pictures to show you my process. In the book the life-changing magic of tidying up by Marie Kondo, she claims that tidying up your house will be fun. Most of her clients are very skeptical, but she has a method that seems to work.

Basically you divide everything into categories and then subcategories. Taking each item one by one Marie says to ask yourself the question, "Does this spark joy?" It seems simple enough, but the test is in the actual doing. She also says the order you choose matters. 

Clothing is the first category. Marie says to gather up your clothes from all over the house and pile them on the floor. Then divide them up into smaller categories, the first being tops which include blouses, t-shirts, camisoles, pull over sweaters, etc. 

I did not put all my clothes on the floor. I did round up all my tops and spread them out on the bed, except for two that were in the wash. 


My original tops




These I will be sending away.










After sorting through each item, I eliminated a total of thirteen tops.




Once you have decided what to keep, Marie shows you a way to fold the clothes so you can stand them up in your drawer and see at a glance what is available. So I decided to try it. Here are pictures showing you step by step.


Step 1: Lay the shirt out flat smoothing out wrinkles..

Step 2: Fold each side in toward the
 middle tucking in the sleeves.
Step 3: Beginning at one end start
folding in thirds or halves
toward the other end.

The idea is to fold it just enough times so that when standing on end it would be the height of the inside of the drawer where you will be storing it. In my case I folded it into thirds.


Step 4: Voila! A neat little package.

I kept twenty-six tops, seven of which needed to hang in the closet. All the rest will now fit into one drawer using this method of folding. I can now see what is available without having to sort through a stack of clothes the way I would normally have folded them.



There are 17 tops in the drawer with room to spare.

There you have it! It's a very simple way and I actually did have fun doing it. Tomorrow we'll see which pants and skirts end up on the throw-away pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!