Saturday, October 3, 2015

All Those Extra Clothes? Let Them Go


Today I'm sorting through pants, skirts and shorts. A couple of the skirts have been hanging in my closet for over two years without being worn. Maybe I was keeping them in case they ever come back in style or hoping I would lose enough weight to fit into them. Seeing them just hang there didn't really bring me joy, so they are among the clothes I am letting go.

Since I didn't have that many items in this category it didn't take long to go through them. Some of slacks were not conducive to storing folded, so I hung them in the closet along with the skirts I was keeping. For the rest of the pants and shorts, I used the same method for folding as I demonstrated yesterday. 

There was plenty of time left in the day so I decided to also go through the outerwear which includes sweaters, coats, jackets, sweatshirts, and sweater vests. All of them combined totaled 21 items. Here's the giant pile:



Many of the coats met the same fate as the unwanted skirts. It wasn't that they didn't fit, but I just didn't like them for one reason or another. I realized that I didn't really need a heavy coat. An older coat I have and really like is great for rain or wind and is large enough to wear a sweater or sweatshirt underneath for cold days. Besides, I like the color.

Some of the sweaters I kept were hung in the closet or on a hook by the door so as to be handy to grab on my way out. Most were folded in the same way as the pants and put into a drawer. I am tickled to see how nicely they fit into these two drawers, enabling me to see them all at once.


pants and shorts on the left, sweaters on the right

My daughter, Jamie, has an instagram challenge with prompts for every day of October. Her prompt today is “letting go.” I thought it apropos as I say goodbye to unwanted items of clothing. She is using the hastag #mysticautumn. Check it out if you're interested. She would love to have you join in the fun. 

All those extra clothes, even though I wasn't always looking at them, were weighing me down. Letting them go has been freeing. Not only that, but having the remaining clothes organized and easy to find, brings more simplicity to my life. I actually feel lighter, like a big load has been lifted. 

These will all find new homes!

Maybe you also have clothes that have been around awhile not doing anything but taking up space. My advice would be to get rid of them. If you can't wear them or don't like them it's best to just let them go. You'll be surprised at how much better you feel.

This challenge has been easier that I thought it would be, and I'm really enjoying myself. Who could have guessed that decluttering could be fun!




You can find links to the other posts in this series HERE. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!