Thursday, October 1, 2015

A Leap and a 31 Day Challenge

What would it be like to leap into the future? 

Have you ever wondered where you'd be 30 years from now? 

I started to write 50 years but realized that I probably won't be around then. I would be almost 113 years old! It's not impossible but highly improbable. It's a sobering thought to realize I've lived over half my life already, but I feel like there is so much more for me to do.



 When I think of the word leap, which is the #wholemama prompt for the week, it conjures up images of a deer leaping through the forest or a high jumper setting a new record, or the thrill we would feel as kids waiting for just the right moment to leap out of the swings while they were still moving, or simply playing a game of leap frog with my friends.

Leaping brings with it a feeling of moving forward in strength and power, jumping high and covering a lot of ground quickly, but there is another way to think about it. One of the definitions found on Rhymezone is “a light springing movement upwards or forwards.”

I like that.

Maybe instead of thinking about a leap into the future, I'll take smaller leaps beginning with participating in #write31days. Many ideas have made their appearances in my mind, each clamoring to be the chosen subject.

I could tell you about my experiences learning karate beginning with those first lessons that made me wonder whether or not I could actually do it. When I was talking about some of the karate moves recently, one of my sons said, “Who would have thought my mom would be a karate nerd?” I'm not so sure I'm that crazy about it, but I am finding myself rising to each new challenge.

I could write about my first few weeks into training for a 5K, showing you the struggles, but also the freedom it brings. I'm finding I can push my body farther than I thought, and at the same time find relief from stress.

I could write about the joys and trials of being a mother, raising seven kids, and how a mother's touch will always be needed no matter what the age of your children.

I could also write about clutter which seems to loom before me as an insurmountable mountain to climb. If I could just getting a running start maybe I could leap clear over the junk making it disappear in the process. 



As I thought about all these ideas I knew exactly what to choose.

Using the Kon Mari method, coined by Marie KondoI have decided to take the challenge of making my bedroom, including the large closet, a clutter free zone. Each day I will work on a certain part and write about the process. This will hold me accountable to actually get it done, and might inspire someone else.

You may think 31 days would be more than enough time, but I am skeptical. 

You see we have an oversized bedroom that also houses my desk and art table. In addition, there are things in the bedroom and closet that have been there for years not being used. This includes stuff left from when all seven children were living at home. I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but we shall see.

It will be entitled 31 Days to an Attractive Clutter Free Bedroom.

I do not yet have it all planned out and am not sure how it will work. Perhaps you could say I am leaping without knowing exactly where I will land, which could be a bit risky.  But it gives me a goal and a fun way of tackling an undesirable chore.

Sometimes I may include a quote or a silly poem, but each day I will have a before and after picture of the chosen project. I may even include small ways to decorate that will make my room a welcoming place after a long and tiring day. If you have any suggestions I'd be glad to hear them!


What about you? Are you taking part in  the #write31days challenge? If so, I'd love for you to leave a link to your blog in the comments section so I can follow along!

I'm linking up with #wholemama at Erika Shirk's place, where Amanda Cleary Eastep has written a lovely post with her take on the word leap.



Below you will find links to each #write31days post as they become available.

Day 2: Eighteen Tops All Visible In One Drawer?
Day 3: All Those Extra Clothes? Let Them Go
Day 4: Sabbath Rest and a Prayer
Day 5: Shoes, Hats, Scarves, Oh My!
Day 6: Pause, Take a Deep Breath, Enjoy
Day 7: Changes and an Answer to Prayer
Day 8: We Make Plans, God Directs  In this post I explain that I had to postpone my #write31days project. I hope to continue it next month. Thanks for your patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!