Wednesday, August 5, 2015

To Be or Not to Be...Silly


The #wholemama word prompt for the linkup this week is the word silly. Being silly is something easily forgotten as we get caught up in the world of adulthood. There are so many responsibilities real or perceived, but children have a way of pulling us into their play. Once in awhile we find ourselves letting go of our self-consciousness to join in their merriment, while making silly faces and having fun.


At one birthday party the kids were all trying on a cap that belonged to the father of one of their friends. They decided I should wear it, too. I protested at first, but gave in. You can tell by the extra large glasses that it's pretty dated.

 


Not too long ago I remember my granddaughter trying to get me to do some kind of dance video she had, but I wasn't sure I wanted to. Finally, I thought, What have I got to lose? So I joined her for awhile. We laughed, got out of breath and had a lot of fun.

My husband did a lot with the girls when they were young, but I often made excuses like there was too much to do, or I was tired or the baby needed attention. On their own my girls would think up plays, make costumes, practice and then perform for us. Here's a picture taken after one such play which also includes one of their brothers.




They also put on a puppet show one Mother's Day. They made up a song talking about the life of a mother as they perceived it. I loved it!




Somewhere along the way I let my self-consciousness get in the way of having fun. When the grandkids come my husband often puts on music and starts dancing with them. They all want me to join, but I usually hold back because I'm afraid I'll look stupid. This #wholemama prompt has got me thinking that I should forget those kinds of thoughts and jump right in and have fun with them.


One thing that brings out the silliness, whether you are young or old is an unexpected snowfall!

Recently we got together with friends we haven't seen in many years. We knew each other before we were married. In fact, our husbands were roommates. We even talked about having a double wedding but decided we'd rather have our own. They married first and we married a month later.

When we met them at the restaurant it was as if no time had passed since we were together. Our bond was strong those years ago, and it still holds. After we ate we went to their house to spend some time waiting before we picked our son up at the airport.

It was great to catch up again and to renew our friendship. We enjoyed pictures of our kids from a visit years ago. They had fun dressing up and wearing a curly wig.




My friend has a very infectious laugh so you can't help but find yourself laughing, too. I think we must have been talking about some of the differences between men and women, and she showed me a photo of a very thick book, probably about 3' tall, opened on a table with a guy standing there holding part of the book in his hands pretending to read it.

It was titled 'Understanding Women.' Her comment was something like, “This is what I told my husband he has to read if he wants to understand me.” Then we both roared with laughter. You can take a look at it Here, and you'll see what I mean.

We were so busy catching up, laughing and having such a good time that we forgot to take pictures. I didn't think about it until the next day after we were home.

My spirit was lifted so much after our visit. I had forgotten how much fun we used to have together. I didn't realize how much we needed their friendship until we spent that afternoon and evening together. We really loosened up instead of being so serious about everything.

We resolved to get together again soon, maybe an overnight trip to the mountains, or a day trip for hiking or some other activity. Whatever we do I'm sure we'll share a lot of fun and laughter with a little silliness along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!