Monday, July 6, 2015

June Highlights

After 26 years I am no longer a homeschool mom. My youngest graduated high school. I guess you could say an era is over. Part of the month was used to get him ready for a trip to Japan. We said goodbye to him at the Atlanta airport on June 28 and we will pick him up again July 27. He is having a great time and learning a lot.


One of the first things I did in June was to set up a place in my room to use for praying and writing and even art journaling. It has become one of my favorite spots.You can read more about that in this post: A Welcome Respite.


Speaking of art journaling I have done a few pages this month, mostly collage or found poetry.





















We have gotten a little bit of a harvest from our garden areas even though they are somewhat overgrown. This year we tried growing sweet corn and it is delicious. We have enough blueberries that I've been able to freeze some to save for later.





A favorite of this month has been joining in with other women for some summer encouragement via twitter, instagram and blog linkups with the hashtag #WholeMama. You can read all about it on EstherEmery's post.

You may call me a bookworm when you see the sampling of the books I've either read or started reading in June:

A Million Little Ways by Emily Freeman – actually I'm going through it for a second time.
Live Uncaged by Mary DeMuth (presently free on Amazon kindle)
Pray,Write, Grow by Ed Cyzewski
Searching for Sunday by Rachel Held Evans
Bittersweet by Shauna Niequist
Notes From a Blue Bike by Tsh Oxenrider
Learning to Walk in the Dark by Barbara Brown Taylor
By God's Design by my friend and a member of my church, Judith Hartzell
Julie & Julia by Julie Powell
Orthodoxy by G.K.Chesterton (only $.99 Amazon kindle) is one I have recently read and one of the best.

As you can see there is a bit of variety in my choices. Some were recommended and since others are by friends, I wanted to see what they had to say. I have a habit of starting too many books, so I need to get busy finishing a few :)

An ongoing activity for the month of June has been my participation in a karate class held at my church. Right at the end of May I earned my yellow belt which is the first belt with a rank. I enjoy learning right along with my sons. Here is a copy of my membership card.




Last but not least, we traded in our Mazda CX-9 for a Ford CMax Hybrid. It gets over 40 MPG, and with our weekly trips to Greenville for church, karate and sometimes shopping that will be a blessing. So far we are enjoying it very much.





These are some of my June highlights. I forgot to mention that we went to see the movie "The Avengers: Age of Ultron," and enjoyed it very much.

What about you? I'd love to know what you were up to last month. To see what others have shared please visit Leigh Kramer's What I'm Into linkup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!