Monday, July 13, 2015

Finding Rest

For her #GiveMeGrace post Lisha Epperson wrote about needing Sabbath rest. Our bodies were made to work but not endlessly. Our bodies were also made to need rest. God even took the seventh day to rest after creating the world, even though He never tires. I think he was giving us a pattern. By working six days, then taking a day to rest, we are able to be refreshed, to give our bodies time to recuperate from the busyness of the other days.




Lisha spoke about finally listening to her body telling her to stop. She, like all of us, needs time to be free to rest, to spend time talking and listening to God, to simply sit and do nothing for awhile if need be. Sometimes that rest can look like a walk alone in the outdoors, painting a picture or practicing some other form of art, or anything that gives you a break from your regular, everyday routine.




The past couple of weeks were pretty busy for me, and today there were a few things planned. I realized that I was not going to be able to do it all, but it would be hard to decide what to leave out. Because I had been away from home a lot it seemed to me that it would be best to stay home today. So I eliminated any activity that would entail going out so that I could rest and be refreshed. 




Walking through my ever-spreading garden I was able to find a few ears of corn and some tomatoes. Believe it or not that was a restful activity for me. It's exciting to see how things grow and produce food.




I have spent some time relaxing and listening to music, and also writing and praying. I believe I made the right choice and my body will thank me for giving it time to be at rest. 




May God enable each of us to recognize when we need to stop to rest, and give us wisdom and strength to do just that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!