Thursday, July 2, 2015

Finding a Place of Quietness

I'm a little late joining the #WholeMama linkup this week. Our prompt is the word quiet, which is ironic, because the past few days have been anything but quiet for me.

In less than a week's time we made several trips that took us through downtown Atlanta. While not usually very peaceful, this early morning photo makes it seem that way.

(photo by gayl)

The first trip was to take my son to the aiport for his trip to Japan. I'm happy to say he made it there and is having a great time. One of the first things he told me was that breakfast in Tokyo was amazing. Apparently they had salmon. I'm not a seafood fan, but he was positive that even I would have like it.

On our next trip we traveled to Reform, Alabama for my uncle's funeral. On that trip we encountered traffic slow-downs, rain, thunderstorms, hail and wind. It was quite a trip, but we spent some good time with relatives. 

The service was beautiful. Uncle Rau was well loved. Tears were shed, some of sadness, but some of remembering what a wonderful man he was. The pianist/soloist sang “How Great Thou Art,” which reminded us of what a wonderful God we have. Later he sang “What a Wonderful World,” which really caused the tears to flow. I thought the song described my uncle well. That is how he lived and saw the world.

(photo by gayl)

A day in between those two trips I traveled an hour to babysit three of my lovely grandchildren. From reading to the boys, watching a few episodes of a show with my granddaughter, fixing food, cleaning up, and calming children, we all had fun.

Needless to say, it has been pretty hard to find some time to be quiet.

Don't get me wrong, I love to be around people and I thrive with all the interaction.

But sometimes I need to find a place of quietness.

Today, after breakfast I spent some time in my rocking chair by the window praying, thinking and writing. Oftentimes I pour out my heart in a prayer journal giving to God those things over which I have no control. There I find the peace that only God can give as I continue to trust in Him.

I find another kind of quiet place when I go outdoors.

At my house, depending on the time of day, you hear a variety of birds, bugs, frogs, wind blowing and occasional cars. Those noises do not really interfere with the kind of quiet my mind and body experience while outdoors. This morning I woke up to cloudy skies and a rain shower. Later I walked out onto the front porch and looked at my chaotic garden. It is like a jungle spreading all around and didn't seem very quiet.


(photo by gayl)

I looked out past the garden to the blueberry bushes, raised my eyes to see the sky and the far trees and felt more of a sense of peace.


(photo by gayl)

It was cloudy and cool and seemed a perfect time for picking blueberries. 

I no sooner had gotten started when the sun came out making it quite warm. Back inside I went to put my hair in a ponytail and don my cap before returning to the blueberries. I later came inside with almost a full gallon!


(photo by gayl)

Whether picking berries, looking at clouds, or taking a walk, I am able to clear my mind of worrisome thoughts. I can then relax and see the beauty. 

For those few minutes, it's just me interacting with nature.


(photo by gayl)

Fully immersing myself, I'm able to enjoy the moment, and that refreshes me.

Please visit the linkup to read what other #wholemamas have written on the word quiet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!