Thursday, June 11, 2015

A Welcome Respite



Early in the spring I took my daughter's ecourse A Heart for Prayer: Book of Hours. Ever since then I have wanted to stop throughout the day to take time to pray. My intentions were good, but I could never seem to remember to do it. I realize that I can pray anytime no matter where I am, and I do that quite often during the course of a day, but I wanted more.

I wanted a specific place where I could go to pray, read, meditate or write.

Sometimes I would sit in bed either late at night or early in the morning to do some extra writing or praying, but that position was not really good for my back. I thought maybe if I had a better place I would be able to establish more of a habit.

If you have read my blog in the past you will know that I struggle with getting rid of clutter in my house. I decided to start in my room by getting better organized there. It is a bedroom but also where my desk resides. My son suggested that I also bring the wooden rocking chair up to my room since we don't really use it in the living room. 

An idea began to take shape in my mind.

I saw a link on facebook from Ed Cyzewski that the kindle version for his book Pray, Write, Grow was on sale at Amazon. I purchased it right away and began reading. It seemed to address some of the very things I had been contemplating and put me one step closer to having my special place. In fact my husband and I moved the wooden rocker up to the bedroom. I wasn't sure how to arrange everything so it just sat there for a couple of days. 

Until...

I read a blog post by Andrea Cumbo-Floyd entitled “Why I Love Writing Rituals.” That spoke to me so much that my desire for a special spot grew to the point that I knew I had to make it happen. I moved my art table to one side and put the rocking chair next to it by the window. Books, journals and a candle were added, and I was all set. 



It has truly become a welcome respite. 

Here is an excerpt of what I wrote in my journal after beginning this practice:

June 9, 2015 - This is my third time sitting in the wooden rocker by the window. I have lit the lavender candle. I have spent some time praying. I have enjoyed the peacefulness and sense of calm I have while sitting here.

Later that night I wrote:

I did sit in the chair a second time today praying and writing in my prayer journal.

Each day this week I have been spending more time in this very spot praying and writing my prayers. I cherish those times as I pray for myself, my family and others. It has made me more aware of God's presence. Even though there are things beyond my control, I know that God hears my prayers and will answer in whatever way is best. 

This special area of mine is not fancy. It is just a table and chair by a window, but what a difference it has made! I know that anytime during the day my special spot will be waiting for me. Whenever I get the chance I can take a few minutes to pray or to write whatever is on my heart.

What about you? Do you have a special place set aside for writing or praying?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!