Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Defeat the Lies

We all have times when we doubt ourselves. We doubt whether our work really matters. We look around and see others that we perceive as better, so we think we might as well give up. We all have these inferior feelings sometime or another. They raise their ugly heads and we crumble as lie after lie comes raining down on us.
 

How can we defeat these lies?




I participated in a group writing call this past Sunday afternoon led by my daughter, Jamie Bagley. The following letter is what she gave us as a prompt. In response we were to write a letter to defeat the lies.
Dear (insert your name),
I'm doing what I know I am called to do, but everywhere I look, there is already someone else doing it better. What difference am I making? Please remind me of what you know to be true. Please help me remember why it matters. I need you!
Your very own,
Inferior Feeling


Here is my response and I hope it also encourages you:


Dear Inferior Feeling,

When you start to doubt that you’re making a difference, remind yourself that you are a unique person. No one else is like you. No one else can say or do it quite the same way. It’s not that they do it better, it’s just different. 


 There is someone, somewhere who needs to hear what you have to say in just the way you say it.
 
 Your work is important.
What you say matters.
No one can fill your shoes.

 BUT 

Even if no one else ever hears or sees it, YOU DO,  and it is still worth it. If you are doing what you are called to do, whether or not anyone else notices, GOD DOES, and is pleased. 
You are loved.
 You are needed.

Your life DOES make a difference.

Love,
Gayl


***Update to include my recording of this letter. Think of it as my letter to you.***






When feelings of inferiority or failure start to get you down, come back and read my letter. Better yet, write one of your own!



"Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together!
I sought the LORD and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant, and their faces shall never be ashamed."
(Psalm 34:3-5)






I'm linking up today with Kelly Balarie and the #RaRaLinkup and also Holley Gerth and Coffee for your Heart and updating to share with Susan Mead and #DanceWithJesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!