Sunday, February 15, 2015

What Does it Mean to Love?

Is it a feeling or an action?
Is it directed towards someone or some thing?
How do we find true love? What is true love?

I was thinking about these questions last week and started writing down some thoughts in the form of a poem which I share at the end of this post. This morning as I thought again about true love, this verse came to mind:



Would I be willing to give my life for someone else? That's a hard question to think about, but Jesus did give His life for us, and He calls us His friends.

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
(I John 4:10 )

Is there any greater love than this? How can we even fathom such love! When I think about His sacrifice I want to show my love for Him, and then He asks me to do more.

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and every one who loves is born of God and knows God.
(I John 4:7)



My love is so feeble compared to His perfect love, and yet He wants me to love others, too? How is that possible? I John 4:19 tells us:

We love, because He first loved us.

It is because we have received such great love from God first that we are able to give love back to Him and to others. And is that love to be a feeling or action or both?

Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and in truth.
(I John 3:18)

I don't think it means that we never use words to tell of our love, but that our actions back up what we say. If we say we love others and then turn them away or look down on them, our words won't mean anything at all. We are either hypocrites or liars.

By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.
(I John 5:2,3)

There are infinite ways to show God's love to others. When we think of all the ways He shows His love to us, we will find it easier to show love to those around us. 
 
Will any of us do this perfectly? I think not. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

God is always full of grace, ready to forgive, surrounding us with His love.




Where Is Love?

Love is all around us daily even when we cannot see.
Love shows up in a gentle touch when we are sad and lonely.
Love shows up as a nice hot meal when we are tired and hungry.
Love shows up through a simple smile to a stranger on the street.
Love is there when you lose your way and someone kind directs you.
Love is there when you have no strength and someone comes to lift you.
Love is there when you're discouraged and friends come by to cheer you.
Love protects and Love provides and Love is always kind and true.
Love is everywhere that God is, and He uses you and me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!