Sunday, February 22, 2015

What Determines My Worth?


My OneWord 365 is intentional. I haven't written about it in the past few weeks. In fact, I haven't thought about it much at all. Isn't it funny how we get all excited every year thinking about how THIS YEAR will be different? We start off thinking we will make changes that will benefit us, and then somehow the excitement fizzles away and we are left wondering how we ever thought we could follow through and actually make those changes.


Yes, it's easy to get discouraged when circumstances seem to fly in the face of what we want to do. I wanted to systematically rid my house of clutter by being intentional about it. So far not much has been done. I even started a blog series called Empower: You Can Do It where I was going to share my progress by taking small steps, baby steps. I made a little progress but not much to speak of.


My year started out well, and I was very excited when I thought about how soon I could have my house uncluttered. Excitement doesn't get you very far when there isn't action to go with it. It's so easy to look at the whole thing and feel overwhelmed. Hmm... I need to take my own advice and only focus on one area at a time, then work at it until it is done.




I think one reason I get discouraged is that I focus on what I don't have or what isn't getting done rather than keeping my eyes on Jesus. I worry about how I need to lose weight, spend less time on facebook, spend more time reading the Scriptures and pray more each day. I look at all that I'm NOT accomplishing and begin to feel like a failure.


BUT THEN I REMEMBER.

  • My worth is not determined by how much weight I lose.
  • My worth is not determined by what I do or don't do or even how I feel.

MY WORTH IS DETERMINED BY GOD ALONE.

  • I am a beloved daughter of God, created in His image and I am loved by Him.

What more could I ask for? He is with me all the time. He provides for my needs. He is faithful to strengthen me to do the work He has called me to do.

When I look to God rather than myself I realize how much I really do have. I don't need to worry about getting all my goals accomplished. Worrying only causes more stress.




I need to make a conscious choice to put God first in my life. When I do this I have peace, and I know that I can trust Him to bring about His will and do what is best for me.

  • Do I still need to rid my house of clutter?  Yes.
  • Do I still need to lose weight?  Yes.
  • Do I still need to be intentional about setting goals?  Most definitely.
  • Will I still get discouraged at times?  Yes, of course, I'm human.

What I need to remember is that those things don't define me.


I need to accept myself right now with all my limitations before I can really make any lasting changes. I need to remind myself who I am in Christ whenever I start to be discouraged. Then I need to act on what I know even if I don't feel like I can do it, knowing that God will give me strength and grace and forgiveness when needed.

  • So what about all those goals I have?
  • How am I going to accomplish them?
  • Am I even going to get all of them done?

I don't know and actually it's not really that important.  When my goal is to please God in my work whether or not anyone else is pleased, I will feel much better about myself and what I do.


What IS important is that I do my best and have an attitude of thanksgiving.


I will ask Him to give me grace every day, to open my eyes so that I see beauty in the ordinary, to help me be aware of His presence in my life, to give love and grace to others, and to see that His love and faithfulness never fail.




I'm linking up with the lovely Lisha Epperson and #GiveMeGrace.
Also linking with Susan Mead and #DanceWithJesus linkup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!