Friday, February 6, 2015

Keeping Faith

 The prompt for Five Minute Friday is the word keep

When I saw the prompt last night I immediately thought of a Bible verse, but this morning I could not remember what it was. Instead, a verse came to mind that I learned many years ago from the King James version of the Bible found in Isaiah 26:3.


Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee.


Several friends of mine this week have been struggling with anxiety. It is a very real thing and so hard to deal with. I think that's what made me think of this verse. 


Usually when you think of the word perfect you think of something without error, but it can also mean complete as in having all you need for a certain thing. As I thought about this I realized that even though we are promised peace we may not always feel peaceful.


We can know the verses about peace. We can believe God, but sometimes it doesn't seem very real to us, especially if we are going through a difficult time.


(photo by Gayl Wright)

What is the solution? How can we find that peace we are promised? I have found that when I am focused on myself and on the circumstances I will begin to worry. I have taken my eyes off of God and begin to doubt.


I wish the solution was easy, but it is so very hard to let go and trust when everything seems to be crumbling around you. Another version puts the verse this way:


The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace,
Because he trusts in You. (Isaiah 26:3 NASB)


How can we keep our minds steadfast? Many times we have to act on what we believe even when the feeling isn't there. It is hard, because often when we get our eyes back on Christ, we look at our circumstances and find ourselves right back in the place of anxiety.


It's times like this when we need others around to help us, to trust with and for us, to be right there with us so that we know we are not alone. It's easy to quote a Bible verse, but often it is action that is needed to give proof that we are supportive when a brother or sister is struggling so hard. 


Sometimes they need our faith to uphold them for a bit, to help them along as they struggle to see through the fog and darkness where they find themselves. Our prayers and encouragement can help more than we realize. There may be times when we all need someone else to believe for us for awhile, to help point us back to God and to trust in Him.


(photo by Gayl Wright)

My prayer is that we will be there for each other when we experience those times of anxiety, when we can't quite see that God has given us what we need and is right there with us. Sometimes we need that tangible proof of a loving friend to show us.

I believe we can honor God as we use our lives to love and encourage one another.


Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling,
 and to present you faultless before the presence
of his glory with exceeding joy,
 to the only wise God our Saviour, 
be glory and majesty, dominion and power, 
both now and ever. Amen. (Jude 24 KJV)


I'm linking up with Lisha Epperson and #GiveMeGrace Kelly Balarie and the #RaRaLinkup, and Five Minute Friday. ( Confession: It took a little more than five minutes to write)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!