Monday, December 1, 2014

Fun in Kenilworth, New Jersey

When my husband accepted the job teaching at Covenant Christian School in Cranford, New Jersey, we had no idea of all the new things we would encounter or the full range of emotions we would feel. Last week  I told a little bit about moving to New Jersey.  I am going to use the next few weeks to share a few of the varied experiences we had during that year we lived in Kenilworth. 

We visited the church where Sara went to preschool, and the girls did enjoy the Sunday School.  One day after church Jamie came to me with a piece of paper and a pencil and said, "Can you draw my hand be still?  Be still. Be still." Her teacher must have told her to be still a lot because Jamie seemed to think it went along with drawing her hand.


Steve was settling into his job teaching in Covenant Christian School, and we became good friends with some of the teachers and their families. We decided to start going to the church that some of them attended. At that time we also had a weekly Bible study with close friends taking turns meeting in each of our homes. It was a good way to get to know each other. Our children were pretty close to the same ages and enjoyed playing together, and we would often share meals and birthday celebrations.


When one of the couples had to go out of town for a few days they asked us to take care of their children, Ben and Johanna, and their dog. If you've ever seen the children's book Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm and noticed the rather large dog in the illustrations – that's what their dog looked like. She was big with long shaggy hair, a mixed breed, very lovable and full of energy.

(Ben, Sara, Johanna, Jamie)
The very first morning while we were still in bed, the children greeted us by marching into our room, the dog bounding in right along with them. Ben was beating the Fisher Price drum and said rather joyfully, “This is how we wake up in the morning!” It was quite an interesting way to be awakened, but we thought it was really cute.

Taking care of two extra children was actually a good experience for me, because it gave me an idea of what it would be like to have four children. Johanna came to me needing a button sewed on some item, and it made me feel good to be able to fix it for her. Ben was full of energy and was a delight to have around. I always loved children and knew I wanted to have a big family.  Little did I know I would end up with seven of my own.

(Jamie and Sara enjoying Daddy time)

To read more about our family adventures check out this page where you will find them listed along with links.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!