Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Finding God in the Everyday

For Real Talk today, my friend, Marvia Davidson, wants us to see God in the every day happenings of our lives. Here is what she says: "Look, and you will find God whispering in the ordinary, everyday, mundane things of life. Look again. Lean in. Listen."

It was late in the day on Monday when I took a walk around my property thinking about Marvia's prompt. Stepping out onto my driveway the air was a bit crisper that I had realized and everything was covered in shadow as the sun was making it's way down behind the trees. Wondering if I was too late to get any good pictures, I turned my gaze to the sky and this is what I saw.


Keeping my eyes toward the sky I looked slightly to the east and northeast to get this panoramic view.


Turning, I walked up the back driveway and loved this view of the sun still giving light behind the trees.



Lastly I walked back down the drive and around to the other side of the house to get this wonderful view of the setting sun.



No matter where we live we can see the creativity of God as soon as we step outside keeping our eyes open to what is all around us. Sometimes we can't get outside very easily, but we can still see God in the ordinary things every day. The following poem I wrote in September illustrates this nicely.



The Whisper of God's Love

You can hear it
in the rustling of leaves
as the wind gently blows,
the whisper of God's love

You can hear it 
in the softly falling rain
tapping on the roof,
the whisper of God's love

You can hear it
in a baby's cry
as the mother responds,
the whisper of God's love

You can hear it
in the clattering of dishes
as someone prepares a meal,
the whisper of God's love

You can hear it
in the night, in the day
anytime if you will listen,
the whisper of God's love

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!