Wednesday, October 15, 2014

What is Love?

There are so many definitions of love these days. What is love really? Is it just a feeling? Is it an action? Can it be one without the other?


Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.   (I Corinthians 13:4-8a NIV)



My original plan for the post today was to have a picture with I Corinthians 13:4-8a printed on it, because it gives us answers as to what love really is. That was all I was going to do so I thought I would be finished pretty quickly. I began looking for a picture to use but was having trouble finding one. When I finally found what I thought would work I had trouble with the program I normally use to add text to picture. I knew I would need my son's help and he wouldn't be home until early evening.

I abandoned the picture idea for the time being and tried to write something about love that would go along with the I Corinthians passage, but it seemed like every time I started to write I would hit a wall. The inspiration was just not there. I began to get more frustrated and couldn't keep my concentration. I was also being interrupted every few minutes. After spending a lot more time on it and getting nowhere I decided to break for lunch.





What I thought would be finished in a short time was not even getting off the ground. What was wrong? I began chatting online with one of my daughters telling her about having ideas and none of them seeming to be right for the post. She came back with this question, “Do you believe in scarcity?”

I quickly wrote back, “No, I don't. So why am I acting like I do?” Then I said, “Every time I start to write something I get called by somebody. I was writing about love and I think God is giving me some first hand lessons.”

She responds with, "Haha, like Love is patient."  Well, I knew she was right, and I had been patient most of the time, but not all.





Later I took a walk with another daughter and her children. It turned out to be the just the thing I needed. When her boys got tired she took them back home, but my granddaughter, Lacey, and I walked farther looking for little treasures. She found tiny flowers of yellow and purple, leaves of different colors and marveled at it all. We had a great time just enjoying the time together and being in awe of God's creation.




As we walked back home I was thinking to myself that this is what love is – these special times together. Even the interruptions I had throughout the day were indications of love in action. When we got back into the house Lacey was so excited to spread out her treasures on the table for all to see.




I decided to try again with the blog post, but I still got more interruptions and then it was time to make supper. By this time I was getting very tired and wondered if I'd even get the post done today, but God had one more thing to show me.

My daughter came down and took over in the kitchen so I could go out to the garden to get some lettuce for our tacos. The first thing I saw when I went out the door was a beautiful rainbow in the sky! I thought, “Wow, God really has a sense of humor and a beautiful way of also showing His love.” He took me through all the interruptions and frustrations of the day and then at the end of the day He gives me a rainbow. All I could say was, “Thank you, God!”




Find the rest of my #31Days of  Love, Faith and Creativity HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!