Saturday, October 18, 2014

Relaxation and Art Journaling



When I woke up this morning I decided that I was just going to take it easy today after having a busy week of family visiting including lots of grandchildren. For starters I took my time getting out of bed, getting dressed, and fixing breakfast. Looking out the window I saw that it was another sunny but cool October morning and the outdoors was calling me. I went out on the porch with my coffee and then decided to take some pictures of the beautiful sky. 





During that time I was also wondering what to write about for this 18th day of my 31 Days of Love, Faith, and Creativity theme. I began to pray, thinking about all the things I have done this week like taking part in an Authenticity Challenge that Marvia Davidson is hosting and also Brenna D’Ambrosio's Advent Journey called In the Edges of the Day , taking walks with grandchildren, seeing their excitement about all the nature treasures they collected, playing games late at night after the grandchildren went to bed, and art journaling with my daughter and granddaughter. I decided that today might be a good day to focus on creativity.


Right after that I came to my computer, and the first thing I saw was a link to 31 Days of Art Journaling shared by my friend, Lisha Epperson. The minute I saw it I checked it out and found a wealth of new ideas to try in my art journal. I was excited to say the least and wanted to get started right away. I started with one that I thought would be easy and fun and that was the one called Glue Crackle. Basically you take a journal page that has been prepared with gesso and dried. Then you spread white glue on the page and right away brush on some acrylic paint and then blow dry it. Watch the crackles appear!




My next experiment was String Painting. I put paint on a piece of twine and laid it on a prepared journal page. Then I closed the journal and moved it back and forth across the page. I repeated several times with different colors, then used spray paint and a couple of stencils to see what would happened. I think I ended up with sort of a mess. Not sure what I will do with these pages. At least I had fun in the process.




During this past week my daughter showed me how to use different things to create a mixed media art page. This is one of the results of the time we spent together.





If you have never tried art journaling I'd like to encourage you to look into it. I just discovered it about a year ago and have really enjoyed trying different things and learning. It's a great stress reducer and also fun! If you do try it out, I'd love to hear about it and find out how you liked it.


You can find the other posts of my 31 Days of Love, Faith and Creativity HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!