Saturday, October 4, 2014

My First Year of Blogging: Looking Back

Today is the first anniversary of my blog! It's hard to believe it's been a whole year since I wrote that first "about me" post. On the very same day I participated for the first time in Five Minute Friday when it was still at Lisa Jo Baker's blog. Of all things, the one word prompt that day was "write." It was a little challenging, but fun. You can find that post  HERE.

I had been thinking about starting a blog about two years ago but couldn't seem to work up the courage to take the first step. Then one day last fall my daughter, Jamie, asked me to write a guest post for her empathy series. I wasn't sure and was a little nervous but I did it. I entitled it  A New Experience  and sent it to her to be published that next week on her blog.

My blog began as "Momsy's Musings," because I wanted to use it to encourage my daughters and possibly their friends. The name Momsy is what Jamie started calling me years ago, and since she was instrumental in my starting the blog I thought it would be appropriate. I chose a picture of our log home on a hill as the background, thinking it would help those who read it to feel like they were visiting me in my home.


My early posts included participation in Five Minute Fridays, family news with photos, a little poetry, a couple of recipes, some thoughts inspired by prompts in an online writing group I was involved in, and whatever else that came to mind on a given day.

I started using more photography when I took a collective led by Jennifer Upton, who encouraged us to take time each day to slow down and notice things around us looking for the beauty in everyday things using our lenses to capture it. In other words reframing what we see by looking at it in a different way. THIS POST about a walk we took illustrates how I learned to slow down and take more pictures.


Another thing she had us do was to take photos of shadows including our own shadows. I had fun with that one and wrote THIS post about it.


Since then I have written many more poems, started sharing memoir snippets, sometimes join Lisha Epperson for Give Me Grace, and also joined Marvia Davidson with her Real Talk Tuesday.  HERE is one of my latest posts for Real Talk.


One of my most recent ventures is joining my daughter, Jamie, by following her poetry prompts on Thursdays.   HERE  is one I especially like.


During this first year of blogging I have realized more and more how much I enjoy writing and also combining it with photography and art to express myself. My purpose remains pretty much the same in that I want to encourage others as I continue to grow and learn. I have enjoyed looking back and now I am excited to see what this next year will bring. Before I started blogging I had no idea how much I would enjoy it.

What about you? Have you been hesitant about starting something because you are unsure? Why not take a chance and try something new today?


Read the rest of the #31Days of Love, Faith, and Creativity HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!