Saturday, October 25, 2014

Beauty Can Always Be Found


There's a little story behind this simple work of art. I had painted what I thought would be a good background page for a quote or poem, but the more I looked at it the more I didn't like it. Rather than throw out the page I decided to cover it entirely with other colors of paint, but I still wasn't satisfied. So I did it again, this time using black, blue and white experimenting with different strokes and watching to see what would happen.

This was an improvement over the first two that were rather ugly, but still not as nice as I'd like. So I thought I'd try to find a magazine photograph of a flower, put it in the middle of the page and say something about finding beauty in the ugliness. After trying a couple of different flowers that way it just didn't look right.

Then I decided to use the picture with the rocks and stream and try to blend it in with the background. I thought that worked rather well, but it still needed something.  Looking again at the flower pictures I chose the rose. I liked the idea of adding it off to the side where it would contrast and stand out from the darker background.

Originally I wrote the words on paper, cut them out and glued them onto the art journal page. Not being sure if I could get a good photograph of it I used a program on my computer to print the words on the photo and decided that would be the one I would use on the blog.  Then I took a picture of the original one and now I'm not sure which I like better.  What would you decide?


This is Day 25 of my 31 Days of Love, Faith and Creativity. You can find the other posts HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!