Monday, September 15, 2014

From Dissonance to Beauty



This week for Real Talk with Marvia Davidson the word we are thinking about is dissonance. She wanted us to think about how we handle dissonance in our lives in whatever form it takes. When I looked up the word dissonance I found that it could refer to sounds that are disagreeable or conflicts between people in opinions or actions or even character.  Some synonyms would be noise or racket.




I decided to do something different this time and use a couple of art journal pages to help illustrate the ways I handle dissonance. The first one shows that I'm a child of God, that He is working in my life.

I chose a dark background and painted the words on in a way that isn't really very neat, but it shows that life is not always easy. God may be working, but there may be messiness involved. I chose to use red to make splotches all around to show that in making us holy there was great sacrifice on the part of God. So even when things are hard and I am unsure of the outcome I choose to believe that God is still at work. He will make things right.




Another thing I like to do when I feel dissonance is to create collages out of pictures I have cut from magazines, and sometimes I just take time to look over pages I have done in the past. When I look over the pictures I am reminded of the beauty in this world that God has created.




Another thing that really helps me deal with the stress and overwhelming feelings is to just drop everything and go outside if even for a few minutes. There is something very calming about breathing in the fresh air and looking for beauty in the ordinary places. It calms me to walk around, clear my mind of all the noise and maybe even take some pictures.


I had to do that this morning because of all the things rolling around in my brain causing such dissonance. I took several pictures but this green plant with the gold speckles and the sun shining on it reminded me of hope. We may not always see the light but it is there all the time.




What about you? What do you do when you are facing dissonance in your life? I'd love to hear your thoughts.  If you'd like to join in we'd love to have you at Marvia's place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!