Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Thoughts on Being

Linking up again with Marvia Davidson's Real Talk Tuesday where we are exploring what it means to “be.”


The word “be” can mean to exist, but is existing what it really means for me to “be?” Isn't there more to life than just existence? What about being alive to who I really am and how I relate to my surroundings and to other people? Who am I in God's sight? Who is He calling me to be?

I could go about my day doing everything as a matter of routine without noticing anything around me, and it would be a very dull existence. Sure, my work would get done, but would I feel fulfilled? When I do my work because I know I have to there is very little meaning or fulfillment in it, and I am not a very happy person.

I could go about my day noticing all the things that are wrong and start complaining about them. That accomplishes nothing but put me in a bad mood along with anyone else who is near me. There have been days I have done this, and it has caused a lot of stress. I might try to think of some solutions, but many times I find myself feeling overwhelmed thinking nothing will ever change. When this happens I am also not a happy person, and it doesn't help the morale of anyone living in the house.

Or I could begin the day thanking God for giving me life, another day to live for Him. If I could go about my day looking for the beauty in the small things, the ordinary things, even in the seemingly ugly and messy, I would easily relieve some stress and have a better attitude about the things waiting to be done. When I live this way even the tasks that are not necessarily fun can bring me joy.

Here's an example from just this week. I was really tired Sunday morning from such a busy week so I chose to say home and have some “alone” time. I noticed that my kitchen counters were very stained and just looked awful. Usually I don't do that kind of work on Sundays, but this time I felt it was needed, so I spent time working on them doing my best to make them nice. I actually enjoyed doing it and I believe it was an act of worship because I knew the result would boost morale for the whole household and it drew me into giving praise to God.

 After the time spent cleaning in the kitchen that morning, I spent the rest of my day relaxing, reading some Scripture, and creating art. I had been feeling overwhelmed with all the activity of the past week and knew there were still plenty of things that would need attention. I remembered that we were created not only to work, but to rest. So I wrote this little poem helping me to remember to let go of all the worries and cares and just rest in Christ.

In God's sight I am a beloved daughter created to bring glory to Him ultimately, but also to enjoy His creation and my life. I believe God has called me to be a writer, an artist, one who takes time to notice the beauty in every day, and to encourage others in whatever way I can. I won't do all of it perfectly, and that's okay because I don't have to be perfect. I don't have to strive to be someone I am not. I only have to be myself, imperfections and all, because God takes all of me and makes beauty as only He can.

This is the kind of "being" I want for my life. 
I don't want to just exist. I want to be fully alive!

real talk tuesday mdavidson button


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!