Saturday, August 30, 2014

Freedom

What does freedom mean to you? What does it look like, sound like, feel like, smell like, taste like? (These questions were a prompt during a conference call with an online group I was in) 

To me freedom means the ability to be myself without fearing what others will think. It means having time to pursue writing, photography and other interests, and being free to practice my faith without government interference. 

Sometimes I feel very free. When I am on the porch swing or walking barefoot in the grass I take time to listen, to observe, and immerse myself in the beauty of creation. For a time I'm able to forget about all the work waiting for me. The tension seems to drop away if only for a few minutes.



(Photo by Gayl Wright)


FREEDOM


Freedom looks like the wide open sky
seemingly endless


Freedom sounds like a mighty rushing waterfall
constantly moving


Freedom feels like a cool evening breeze
gently blowing


Freedom smells like clean clothes right off the line
exhaling sunshine


Freedom tastes like the salty ocean spray
splashing my face


Freedom may not always be sweet
Sometimes it's rather sour
with many hardships to overcome


But


Freedom is worth it



(Photo by Gayl Wright)

My prayer is for all of us to be free from the shackles and bonds that keep us from God. 


May He grant us: 


  • freedom from self-righteousness or self degradation that comes from comparing ourselves with others,
  • freedom from prejudices that cause distrust and hate, 
  • freedom from pressure to conform or perform,
  • freedom to fail and learn from our mistakes, 
  • freedom to pursue God and follow where He leads even if others don't understand, 
  • freedom to love others with the love He gives us,
  • freedom to live in peace and harmony with our neighbors.



He has shown you, O man, what is good;

And what does the Lord require of you

But to do justly, To love mercy,

And to walk humbly with your God?

(Micah 6:8 NKJB)



May God give us grace and enable all of us to live our lives in this way.


I am linking up with Lisha Epperson's series on Give Me Grace. Please take time to follow the link and read some inspiring posts written by others.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!