Friday, July 4, 2014

Why Write?

The theme for Day 4 in my 40 Days of Blogging class is "Wait! Why am I even writing?!!!"

(photo credit Jamie Bagley)


Why do I write? 

This question has come up several times recently so I have pondered it a bit.

Why do I write? 

It seems that writing has been a part of my life ever since my mom taught me to use a pencil to draw the letters of the alphabet. I liked taking notes in school. Essay questions on tests were my favorite, because I could always think of something to say. 

I loved to write.

As the years past, and I got busy raising children I forgot about my love of writing for a time. Then we started homeschooling, and I began keeping a journal. When I took out my journal each night I wrote as if I were writing a letter to someone. 

And, maybe I really was. 

The thought was in the back of my mind that my children would find these journals when I am gone. They would have a record of happenings in our lives from my perspective. It didn't cross my mind that I might actually write something that people outside my family would read.

It has only been within the past six months I realized how much I enjoyed writing. With the challenge of the 40 Days of Poetry that started in December, 2013, I remembered how much I loved writing poetry. When others read my poems and liked them, it was very encouraging to me. I began writing more and more poetry. 

Being a part of an online community really helped me to find my voice. They showed me that each one of us has a story to tell. It may look different than someone else's but my story - our stories - are all very important. Someone, somewhere needs to hear our words. If we just keep them to ourselves and never share, we will miss opportunities to bless others and be blessed by them.

So, why do I write and why do I keep writing? 

Besides the fact that it brings me a lot of enjoyment as I have expanded and developed my creative writing skills, I also write to encourage others. My heart is full of gratitude for all that God has given me and I believe He has put the desire in me to write. 

Like most people, I do have doubts sometimes about my writing, but God has a way of giving encouragement at just the right time to remind us that our words do matter. 

Just today someone I have not seen in a very long time messaged me that something I said on my blog really spoke to him and God used it to bring peace and mercy back into his life. I was totally taken aback and realized that it was just confirmation that I am doing what God is calling me to do. I need to continue to be faithful not only in my calling as a wife, mother, grandmother,daughter and friend, but also in my calling as a writer.  

Getting this confirmation and realizing that God does use my words to help others makes it all worthwhile. I am thrilled and humbled that God would choose to use me in this way.  

It's just one more way I can glorify Him and hopefully point others to Him in the process. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!