Thursday, July 17, 2014

Who is Your "We?"

Once again I am linking up with Marvia Davidson's Real Talk Tuesday. It's not Tuesday any more, but the link is still open and anyone is welcome to participate. You can find all the information HERE if you'd like to join in. The prompt this time is only one word, "we." Who is your "we?"

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God;
 and every one who loves is born of God and knows God. 
Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
(I John 4:7,11)

God has blessed me with family who love me and are very supportive. My husband and my children are my go to people. I also  have my 91 year old mother who still listens when I have things to talk about, and I know she is a prayer warrior. Even though we don't all agree all the time, we are ready to listen and help each other. One of my daughters reminded me that those times actually help to make our love stronger. There are also friends I don't see very much any more because of either no longer living near or just following different paths, but I know if I had a need they would be right there ready to help as I would for them.

Now that I am doing more writing, it helps to have people who can critique and give encouragement to keep on writing. My daughters help me a lot with that, but also I have found that kind of support from the online community of women writers known as The Story Sessions.

How do we show each other that we care and are willing to listen and to help?

We will love unconditionally; we will depend on each other to be ready to help and to listen even when we don't agree. We will give support even when others may not. We will help each other think through things until there is clarity. We will encourage, and most of all we will uphold each other in prayer.

Will we do this perfectly?

No, of course not. We are human. We are vulnerable. We are not perfect people. The good news is that we don't have to be. We can be willing to admit our short comings and forgive each other and move on into a relationship that grows as we grow. We can learn from mistakes and ultimately glorify God even through all our questions, doubts and misunderstandings. He loves us and will be there to give us what we need in any circumstance as we come to Him and ask.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
 And do not lean on your own understanding. 
In all your ways acknowledge him,
And he will make your paths straight.
(Proverbs 3:5,6)

I believe God will lead us to those whom we can trust and who will stay with us through trials, temptations, failures and successes. He directs our paths and it's amazing sometimes for me to look back and see how He orchestrated events. Recently I was contacted by someone close to me who was having a really hard struggle. Normally at the time when I saw the greeting on my computer I would have already been out milking goats, but for some reason I was delayed that day and was there when that person needed me. Other times I have received mail or some other thing at a time when I really needed the encouragement, and people have told me that cards I have sent to them could not have come at a better time.

We are made for community.

We were not meant to live in isolation. We need each other to spur us on when we want to give up, to help us slow down when we move too fast, to encourage and to love unconditionally. It is a beautiful thing to know there are people I can always count on and will be there to help me through whatever situation I may be facing.

Who is your "we?"

Do you have people you go to when you need someone to listen, when you are so hurt and angry that your thinking is muddled? What about someone who will share your successes and failures? Do you have anyone who loves you unconditionally and who will be there to support you in whatever way they can? There may be times when you do feel alone, like there is no one who cares, but to you who know the Lord, remember that He is always with you. Go to Him when you struggle and ask for help in seeking out people who will uphold you, love you and stick with you through the good times and the bad. When there is no one else that we can see, God is still there. In Hebrews 13:5, we are told not to love money but to be content with what we have, and then the reason is given :

...for He himself has said,
 "I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you,"
so that we may confidently say,
"The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid.
What shall man do to me?"
(Hebrews 13:5b-6)

Because He has promised never to forsake us, I believe the truth of this scripture can be applied all the time regardless of the circumstances in which we find ourselves. I'd love to hear your thoughts. You can also click on the picture below to read what others have written on the subject this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!