Tuesday, July 8, 2014

What Do I Need?

If you were to ask me what I need I'm sure I could come up with a myriad of things, but what do I really need? Do I need approval from others before I attempt to do anything? Do I need to be afraid of failure? When I fail does that mean I've blown it and my life can never be what it was meant to be? Do I always need to put myself last so that my needs are seldom met? Does God expect me to fix myself up before I offer myself to Him? Do I have to make sure I have all the answers before I can share Christ with someone else? Do I need to put on a happy smile all the time and pretend everything is perfect? The list of questions could go on and on and never stop. If I think about it I realize many of these are questions I and others have grappled with at some point, and some still may be unanswered. Do I really need to have all the questions answered?

What do I need?

Do I need people to know and accept me for who I am? Do I need to accept me for who I am? Do I need to accept others for who they really are? Do I need to acknowledge my failures and instead of being ashamed and afraid, accept them, learn from them and move on? Do I need to continue trying new things, stretching myself, digging deeply to know my heart's desires? Do I need to keep writing and creating even when some days seem too hard?

What do I need?

Do I need to be willing to meet people where they are, rather than insist they change? Do I need to share the love of Christ in my words and actions and leave the work of change up to the Holy Spirit? Do I need to be open to the leading of the Holy Spirit in my own life to be willing to change views if I realize they have been wrong? Do I need to take God at His word and trust Him to care for me as He has promised to care for all His children? Do I need to be obedient to Him even if others disagree? 

Can I know what I really need in this life I live?

Could it be that I just need to come to God with arms outstretched and empty hands to accept His love, demonstrated by Christ when He bought me with His blood by His death on the cross at Calvary? Could it be that I need to lose myself in Him to find out who I really am? Could it be that as I read His word and follow Him that He will meet my needs at just the right time?  Could it be that I need to praise and thank Him every day? Could it be that I need to trust Him not just when things are going well, but even when things are hard, when I can't see through to the end of the tunnel? Yes, I must because there is always light on the other side of the darkness.




Will God really meet my needs?

God has proved Himself over and over again to me throughout my life. I have had my share of troubles, but God has been faithful to bring me through each one. When money was low we had groceries provided. When I was pregnant with my first child my husband was not always paid on time because the Christian school where he taught lacked the funds. But I remember that between gifts and things loaned we had everything we could ever need or want to care for a baby. I remember wishing there was a way to repay an older couple who had been very kind to us. What they told me has stuck throughout the years. They said that one day we would be the older, experienced ones and we would be able to help those younger than us in much the same way we were helped. I have found that to be true many times over.

Here is what is promised to us in Hebrews 4:14-16:

Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are,yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

God will supply our needs. This is not to say that He will always give us what we think we need. He goes with us through the darkness, when we can't see Him, when it looks like He is gone. We may not see Him, but He is always there, pursuing us when we run, holding us when we hurt. He may have to bring us to the end of ourselves before we realize that we can't do it alone, that we need His help and guidance every step of the way. Jesus calls us his sheep and I take comfort in the fact that He holds me in His hand.

Jesus says in John 10: 27-31:

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me; I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one."

I am thankful for all the experiences I have had, for the privilege of having His word, for having the proof of Creation to show me that He is who He says He is and will care for me in whatever situation I face. 





What do I really need?

I need to acknowledge the hand of God in my life in everything I do. I need to thank Him for making me who I am with all my imperfections.  I need to follow the desires of my heart, because if I am trusting Him, I believe my desires will be in line with His will. I need to create, using the gifts He has granted without fear of failing or of someone's disapproval. I need to love and be loved, to encourage and be encouraged. I need to live each day filled with gratitude rather than complaining, because only then will I be truly happy.

What do you need?


I'd love to hear your thoughts and welcome your comments or ideas on this matter of needs.




This was originally written for Day 9 of 40 Days of Blogging, a collective led by my daughter, Jamie Bagley.. The theme is "Learning to Ask" The prompt is : "What I Need..." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!