Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Permission to Be Me

I am updating this post to include it with Lisha Epperson's Give Me Grace link up.  I thought it fit in well with the theme of grace, because it's only by God's grace that I am able to "give myself permission" to be me. Be sure to check out the other posts linked up there. I'm sure you will be blessed.

I give myself permission to be me with all my weaknesses and imperfections, because they don't identify me. My identity is found in Christ. My life is “hidden with Christ in God.” (from Colossians 3:3) It means that I am forgiven and every sin I have committed or will ever commit has been put far away. There is no stain because I have been washed by the blood of Jesus, the lamb of God, and therefore I am clean in His sight. Every day is like a fresh new beginning.


I give myself permission to enjoy life, because it's the only one I have. Why should I go around wishing things were different or complaining about what is wrong? I want to slow down and realize that everything I have is a gift from God, including fun trips to the lake with grandchildren.


I give myself permission to pursue beauty in every area of my life, because in doing so I will learn to appreciate what God has given. I will make a conscious effort to get rid of those things that just clutter up my area and cause me to forget the beauty. I want everything I have to give meaning to my life and to those around me.


I give myself permission to love my family freely without hesitation, because they mean so much to me. I want to learn to solve differences in a loving way, speaking quietly and being sensitive to all of our needs and feelings. After all they are the only family I have and I don't want to spoil our time with foolish bickering.

I give myself permission to pursue my creativity by writing poetry, taking photos, art journaling, and more, because these activities help refresh me. The time I take to pursue these creative interests is well worth it, because in doing so I become a more pleasant person, able to tackle my chores a bit more cheerfully.


I give myself permission to fail, because through my failures I can learn and grow. It's okay if I don't do everything right the first time. I am not perfect so why should I expect perfection in my actions? What is important is that I not give up but keep trying in whatever endeavor I am pursuing.

I give myself permission to pursue a life of peace and thankfulness through the strength and grace that God freely gives me, because I am a child of His. I want to be compassionate, kind, patient, forgiving, full of love, living my life in a way that will be pleasing to Him, pointing others to Christ and bringing Him glory. I will not always do everything right, but I will remind myself that each new day is like a clean slate ready to be written on with the poem that is my life.


How about you? Are there chains holding you down keeping you from becoming the person you were meant to be?  Are you holding yourself back because of fear of failure or thinking you aren't good enough? What do you need to give yourself permission to do? Are there any gates you need to open?


I'm linking up today with Marvia Davidson's Real Talk Tuesday.  Come join us and see what others have to say on the subject of giving permission.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!