Saturday, April 12, 2014

Time Circles Back

This is what I wrote in response to the Story Sessions prompt: Threads of redemption and how time circles back.

When my children were growing up I chose to invest myself in their lives rather than try to have a perfectly clean house. I couldn't do both.  Maybe some people can but I wasn't one of them. I also wanted to instill in them a love for God through my words and actions. Did I do this perfectly? Absolutely not!  I'm sure my children can attest to my outbursts of temper on occasion. They knew that I was not perfect. Things would be left undone, and I would be so tired at night I would just seem to fall into bed.

As time goes on, though, the time I spent with my daughters is showing up in the way they are loving their husbands and children and spending time with them. In each of my girls I see a little of myself – the good and the not so good. It's a strange feeling sometimes to see different parts of my personality showing up in each of them, and I am enjoying how I see them in their own daughters.

Time circles back.

My boys are still at home, but I see it in them, also, the way they care for me.  They are so responsible and know how to fill in when I am not able.  For the past three weeks they have been doing most everything around the house because I have had to just rest and regain strength. I am very thankful for them and their sisters.

Spending time with our children when they are young matters in so many ways.  It is so important to listen to them, to treat them with respect as fellow human beings and not as possessions, to include them in what we do. Things were not always smooth and calm as our children were growing up. Some times at different stages in their lives things could get pretty rocky, but my husband and I wanted our children to feel free to come to us with anything.  Now as they are adults our communication lines are open even if we don't always agree.

All seven of them love Jesus and want to follow Him. This is a beautiful thread of redemption woven into all of our lives starting from when my husband and I first married. Actually the thread can be traced back to whoever in our families first followed Christ. Though each generation has changed and discovered more how to find Jesus in unexpected places, we all have a common bond and love that comes from our hearts.


Time does circle back full of threads of redemption in ways we don't often realize.


A nice place to rest and chat

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!