Monday, January 13, 2014

Blueberry Preserves

Last week we were out of any kind of jelly or preserves in the house for putting on toast or making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.   Since there were still lots of blueberries in the freezer I decided to make some blueberry preserves, not on a large scale but enough to make a couple of pints to put in the refrigerator.   It was so simple to make that I thought I'd share it in case anyone else would like to try it. Most any kind of berry should work with this recipe, and there are ONLY 3 INGREDIENTS!  I forgot exactly how long it took, but I'm pretty sure it was less than an hour. So without further delay, here is my recipe:

Ingredients:

7 to 8 cups of blueberries (mine were frozen - no need to thaw first)
2 Tblsp. lemon juice
2 cups sugar

Step 1.  Mix all ingredients in a heavy saucepan.  Start on a medium to low heat stirring as the berries begin to thaw and  the sugar is dissolved.  During this step the sugar will begin drawing the liquid from the berries.


Step 2.  Turn heat up to high and bring to a full boil.  (At some point you may have to turn the heat down slightly.) Let boil until the temperature reaches 220 deg. F, stirring often. (I have done it without a thermometer and just waited until it started to thicken.  It is tricky, though, to be able to get it just right. One time I ended up with syrup instead of preserves.)


Step 3.  Ladle the preserves into two pint jars that have been warmed slightly. (Since we have well water, I usually just fill them with hot tap water and then pour it out.  That seems to warm the jars sufficiently.)

Step 4.  Leave on the counter to cool with the lids off until jars are no longer hot to the touch.   Then refrigerate. (I usually just lay a kitchen towel or napkin over the tops while they are cooling just to keep dust or bugs out but still let steam escape.)

I forgot to take a picture when they were ready so one of these, as you can see, is already almost gone.


This really is very easy, so I hope you try it.  Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!