Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Comparison and a Question

Some of you may know that Jamie and I participated in a group recently called 40 Days of Poetry where were were given prompts each day to write a poem.  I did not really have time to do all the prompts, but they'll be there for me to use at another time. Our last prompt was to go back over all the poems we had written and use words from them to create a found poem. Until recently I had never heard of a found poem, so in case you don't know what a found poem is, here is the wikipedia definition:

  1. Found poetry is a type of poetry created by taking words, phrases, and sometimes whole passages from other sources and reframing them as poetry by making changes in spacing and lines, or by adding or deleting text, thus imparting new meaning. ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Found_Poem

In the first found poem I ever did just recently I used watercolor pencils and glitter
for a background and then pasted the words on top. I thought it would be nice to do this 
one in the same way, and also include gold cord around the outside like a frame. When I
took a picture of it, though, I thought it looked too much like the first one I had shared
on the poetry facebook page.  So I printed out the words again in a larger font and
made a completely different background for the poem. 

My oldest daughter, Sara, remarked that she didn't know which one she liked better 
because each background created a different mood even though the words did not change.
I had not thought about that before, but after she mentioned it I realized how true her 
words were.  I thought it would be fun to post them on my blog and see what others think.

Here is the first one


And the second one


What do you think?  Do the backgrounds make a difference in the way you see the poem? I'd love to hear from you. Just leave a comment letting me know what you think.


40 Days of Poetry is a part of Story Sessions which is an online writing group I recently joined.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!