Friday, October 18, 2013

LAUNDRY

Today I am linking up with Lisa-Jo Baker's FIVE MINUTE FRIDAY again where we write for five minutes unedited,not worrying about whether it is perfect, just writing whatever comes to mind about a topic chosen by Lisa.  Today's topic: laundry

GO

When I saw today's topic I wondered what I could write about laundry. So I thought I'd think back to when I first starting doing laundry in my first apartment with my new husband 39 years ago.  We had no laundry facilities so we would take our clothes to my parents' house every week.    The next year found us living in New Hampshire in a duplex where we shared a washer and dryer in the basement.

 The next year we moved to our very first tiny house in beautiful Amherst, NH. and were expecting our first child.  So we managed to fit a washer into our budget and had it ready when she was born.  I remember my mom being there and since the house was so hot that summer, she would take the diapers outside and scrub the messiest by hand and then bring them in to the washer and hang them on the line.  That was before disposables came out!   And when they did I didn't like them.

Fast forward a few years, add several more children and tons of laundry which could have been just a drudgery, but my daughters, who were helping with the laundry by that time made up a game to help make it fun.     The idea was to be on either side of the bed and take turns tossing a unmatched sock to see if the other could match it.  It was sort of a Go Fish using socks.   My youngest daughter reminded me that they would yell out, "Match Match"  as they tossed the socks.  I remember hearing them from another room and wondering what could be so much fun!

STOP

If you'd like to join in and write your own thoughts you can find all the details HERE

                                          Try it! You never know what you can do till you try!
Five Minute Friday

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories of your children growing up and how laundry was part of that process. It's fun to think back to when they were little and how much times have changed in the years since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing about the "old days" before I was born. More, more!
    The sock game certainly made the laundry less boring but I'm sure we still complained about having to do it. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Yes, the game went like this: You each take a pile of socks and go into your fort on either side of the bed. Then you'd find all the matches you had. Like 'Go Fish", the first player would hold up a sock and say "Match?" If the other player had it, they would find it and say "Match match, and you scored. If they didn't have it you'd try to pelt them with it while they ducked into their fort, and it was destined for the mismatch drawer. Then I think after all the matched pairs were found they were made into balls for the final battle.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments!