Thursday, October 10, 2013

A New Experience


Earlier this year during Holy Week,one of my daughters  had what she called an Empathy series on her blog . She had been reading the book of Luke and wanted to try to imagine what things would have been like for someone to have been living during the time of Jesus, to try to place herself in their shoes, so to speak.  It was a good exercise to really stop and think about what it might have been like. You can find the beginning of that series and links to the rest of the posts  HERE

She is now doing another Empathy series and wanted to have others try their hand at it and guest post on her blog.  When she asked me to write a post for it my first thought was, "I can't do that!. How would I think of what to say?"   She wanted me to pick a Bible character or event and retell it as if I were that person or write a poem describing what I would imagine it to be.  I was a little nervous about it because I didn't want to add or take away anything from Scripture and wasn't sure I could do justice to it.

 Because we cannot really know what went on in the minds of these people she calls it "fiction exercise even though the truth elements are evident. The stories ring true because they are based on the narratives we are familiar with. Our imaginative perspectives inserted help bring the story alive, true and real in our own hearts as we explore the depth of thought and feeling, capturing the humanity of God’s people in that age and binding it to ours in this one."

Well, I didn't commit to it right away but promised think about it. So I began thinking and praying about  who or what  I would even be able to do. For awhile I came up with nothing.  Then I thought about maybe from the perspective of the boy with the 5 loaves and 2 fish that Jesus multiplied to feed over 5,000 and had 12 full baskets leftover, or one of the mother's of the children that were brought to Jesus to be blessed when the disciples tried to send them away. Being a mother and grandmother children are very dear to my heart, so that is what I chose to use.


                                                             A Mother’s Remembrance
 I will never forget that day for as long as I live!  We were very tired from walking, my friends and I and our children.   We had been following Jesus listening to His every word.   He was like no one else we had ever seen or heard! ........

You can find the rest of the story at Ava Anomaly 


 Please take a moment to go there and read the other posts in the series, too.  This exercise really helped to open my eyes to reading Scripture more thoughtfully rather than just skimming over familiar passages. I hope you will enjoy these "exercises in empathy."









No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments!